Thursday, August 20, 2009

First day of First Grade

Introducing our Official First Grader!
Well, the anticipation is now over and the reality of summer being over has hit. School is back in session, and Ian started at his new school today. Doesn't he look sharp in his school uniform? And, he is using his new back pack with wheels. I predict it not to last very long for he spends way too much time fussing with it. He's going to drive his teacher crazy.
I dropped Ian off this morning and joined all the other crazy parents. It truly was mass chaos at it's finest. Ian was so excited when we arrived and immediately ran to the play ground to play, only to be completely surrounded by four fourth graders who wouldn't let him pass and insisted that he get off the play equipment. Of course he was completely terrified and tried to push himself free while fighting back the tears. I arrived on the scene trying to keep my mommy fangs hidden! ;) Anyhoo, we quickly learned that Thursday is the 4th graders day to play on the equipment. Ian recovered, however, I'm sure that was a moment he will never forget. And, I marched back to lecture the kids about trying to be cool big kid leaders to the newbies, when I saw them mocking Ian and making fun of him for crying. This incident of course only made me want to drag my baby boy back home and keep him well protected from the bullies of the world.

We then commenced to find our way, with our load of supplies, to the classroom and his new teacher Mrs. Kadlec. This year Ian sits at his own little desk. He said he likes the desk, but not the chair for it's very uncomfortable. He requested that I make him a cushion! ;) I explained that I'd have to address that with his teacher for I don't know if that would be acceptable. Personally, I think he should just eat more of the food that I prepare and then his skinny little bottom wouldn't be an issue anymore.

I meant to get a picture of him getting off the bus, however, the bus was 48 minutes late today. By the time it finally arrived we were so happy to see it that we completely forgot about taking the time to take a picture. I'll help you visualize it - big, long, yellow, rectangular shaped vehicle with flashing lights and lots of loud children.

I do hope Friday is a bit less traumatic for Mommy - bullies and visions of bus accidents were a bit much for me today.

4 comments:

  1. I love the pic of Ian with his backpack! Too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh! Bullying is just so wrong, but it's an unfortunate part of playground life. Hopefully Ian will seek out his new first-grade friends to hang with and avoid those turkeys. Avoidance is sometimes the best defense!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bummer about the bullies! Hopefully you just caught them on an off day. Or perhaps they saw the error of their ways and have decided to make better choices in the future. One can hope, right??

    Ian looks so big!!! Love the uniform!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ian looks so grown up in his uniform with his rolling bag! I hope he has a great year :)

    ReplyDelete