The Bathroom! I am going to begin our tour of the famous room that changed the whole purpose of the upstairs addition. Our original intent was to renovate our attic as a new room for our children. We envisioned moving them and all their gear from the main level of our home to the upstairs (Of course a soundproof door with a lock was to be securely attached at the bottom of the stairs)! Chad and I had no plans to stake it as our own, UNTIL the architects revealed the bathroom plans to me!
A few mornings before the meeting , Chad and I had to get ready at the same time. Now that I stay home, this doesn't happen as often for we can stagger our bathroom shifts. I am not at all a morning person, so I try to avoid bumpin' butts at all costs. Anyhoo, the frustration of the morning was fresh on my mind when the blue prints were unrolled and the plans for a soaking tub, walk in shower, and two sink vanity were revealed! I truly sat there in shock and bathroom envy quickly took over. I just kept scheming about how I was going to manage to sneak up there to get cleaned up every morning without waking up the kids.
Chad and I went to lunch afterwards to talk about the plans and changes we wanted to make. The first thing on my agenda was changing the focus to making this a master suite! I think I might have even quoted, "If mommy ain't happy, ain't nobody happy!" So, from that moment on the kids were kicked down stairs and the lock on the door was moved to keep them out!

Above is a look at the shell that we started with. This is pretty much where Contractor C and the plumber left us. Chad and I took it from here to remain within our budget. As some of you my know, the adventure of making a bathroom happen is VERY timely, overwhelming and pricey. This is basically why I am documenting this room specifically. Chad and I worked our bottoms off to make it happen.

This is after the drywall was hung.

Our first step was to tile the shower. We had never tiled before, so this was a lot of fun for us. I think the most frustrating thing about tile isn't that there are so many steps, it's that they all require a drying time of 24-48 hours!

We chose a white subway tile with a row of glass tiles as an accent. I still haven't been able to take a worthy picture of the glass tiles. They are natural colors with a shimmery copper throughout. They really warm up the white tiles.

Our floor tile is a 12x12 tile of hexagons surrounded by squares. We popped glass tiles in randomly for an extra effect. We chose these two tile styles for they compliment the time period of our 1930s brick bungalow and our downstairs bathroom. This floor was very challenging for my hubby, but I think he did an excellent job!

Well, I am going to leave you in suspense of the final reveal pictures. But, I will leave you with this original picture of my two sink vanity. This was a true Cherokee Street find. Just wait until you see what a beauty it has become!
Great pictures!!! I love the last picture of the vanity!!!
ReplyDeleteDana, what an undertaking. It is looking fabulous. I can't wait to see the final result!
ReplyDelete